Profile image for rogertb

Hi - can anyone tell me why Royalty Fisheries are able to put barbed wire along the river bank and exclude everyone but fishermen from the land. Do they own the land ? did they actually buy it ? and who did they buy it from ? was it 'council' land and who in the council approved the sale and agreed that they could exclude walkers.

There are other stretches of river in the area where the fishing is 'private' but the public still have right of access !

By rogertb at 07:31 on 14/10/11

Re-post           

• Profile image for Avon_Garde

Hi - My understanding is that the Royalty Fishery – which has references dating back to the 10th century - has been in private ownership since Queen Mary granted the Manor of Christchurch to Francis Hastings, Earl of Huntingdon, in 1554. The Fishery was bought by West Hampshire Water in 1929 and is currently owned by Sembcorp Bournemouth Water. It is presently leased to Southern Fisheries, the agent of which is Davis Fishing Tackle shop in Bargates. (Refer to the Sembcorp website for details.)

I imagine that either Sembcorp or Southern Fisheries would be able to provide more authoritative answers to your queries.

I agree that it is disappointing that public access to this attractive stretch of the Avon riverbank is restricted, but this is obviously a privilege of private ownership.

By Avon_Garde at 11:05 on 15/10/13

Join the Discussion

max 4000 characters

Local Jobs

Search for...

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min rent is bigger than Max rent