Profile image for Winsy

Does anyone know why shooting is allowed on Stanpit Marsh? This is supposed to be a nature reserve yet for several weeks there have been a couple of men hiding in the reeds and shooting the wildlife! Dog owners have been made to keep their dogs on leads to avoid disturbing the wildlife - is this so that the hunters can shoot and have fun?

By Winsy at 05:23 on 08/02/11

Re-post           

• Profile image for rogertb

This is stunning Winsy, does anyone have any official information about this ? I'd be happy to dig into it a bit more - I'd really love to be able to walk the dog 'off lead' but the wildlife lobby won the argument I understand, as ever there must be an hidden agenda here ... Roger

By rogertb at 07:48 on 11/02/11

Anyone any ideas who I could contact at the council ? Roger

By rogertb at 07:49 on 12/02/11

• Profile image for Winsy

Hi Roger, I have tried to contact Peter Holloway but the line was constantly engaged. I also spoke to one of the volunteer wardens but he denied all knowledge. Strangely enough, I thought I recognised one of the shooters as being a volunteer warden himself, although I must admit I can't be 100% sure about this as he was some way away from me when I saw him. The shooting is still going on, usually just before dawn and dusk. ATB Winsy

By Winsy at 20:22 on 12/02/11

Hi Winsy ... I've put out some 'feelers' and I'll let you know what I get back - Roger

By rogertb at 08:26 on 13/02/11

• Profile image for themanorfarm

Probably to control the population of a specific breed. Give Dorset Wildfowlers a call they might know.

By themanorfarm at 10:08 on 13/02/11

Well I'm pleased to say Peter Holloway from the Christchurch Countryside Service contacted me and explained that the incident of shooting wasn't actually ON the marsh but adjacent to it, an area controlled by the water company and that they have for many years granted permission for wildfowlers so unless there's been another incident then that explains it, he assured me that shooting is not allowed on the nature reserve and also that the licence ensures the most sensitive areas of the harbour are also out of bounds ... good news for the birds as long as they don't fly to the marsh over the harbour !

By rogertb at 16:34 on 14/02/11

Thanks for your help Roger. When I saw the shooters the first time they were actually in the reeds behind the boat - is this not part of the Marsh? I suppose the other times they might have actually been on a small boat in the reeds, but this still seems to be too near to the Marsh itself. It's such a shame that these poor birds are hunted in this way, I understand they have to be controlled but surely nature deals with this.

Anyway, thanks again Roger for looking into this - much appreciated!

Regards

Winsy

By Winsy at 12:11 on 15/02/11

• Profile image for soulboy63

@rogertb, have you seen my post re; new dog control orders?

By soulboy63 at 21:16 on 17/05/12

Have just seen it and will do the necessary, thanks Roger. No wonder there are so many homeless dogs when it is getting more and more difficult to find somewhere to exercise them!

Winsy

By Winsy at 09:37 on 18/05/12

Join the Discussion

max 4000 characters

Local Jobs

Search for...

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min rent is bigger than Max rent